Supervising and administering engineering design activities and provide related engineering services. Organizes and administers all phases of engineering participation for the business unit from customer proposal through product development, testing and transfer to production. Develops and release technical documents. Actively resolves factory and field problems for both new product introduction and sustaining product lines. The Engineering Manager shall coordinate with related group departments and functions to promote concurrent engineering methodologies.
The Engineering Manager coordinates with Sales and Marketing, and Manufacturing Engineering and Operations personnel, to translate broad concepts of customer requirements into reliable, cost-effective, producible products. The Engineering Manager must have the ability to technically influence a customer to ensure the appropriate technical solution is developed.
The candidate must be a US citizen or permanent resident. The ability to obtain a U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) Security Clearance or holding a security clearance is an advantage.
- Organize and direct all engineering, drafting, testing, and related functions necessary to the support the business unit; establish work schedules; recommend changes in staffing commensurate with work requirements.
- Assume overall responsibility for the design and development of new products in accordance with customer specifications and requirements. Coordinate engineering effort through the NPI process with other engineering departments or subcontractors as required.
- Guide and directly participate in the design of special and standard products, material and component selection, the development of engineering specifications, test procedures, and the preparations of operating or maintenance instructions and other product literature.
- Provide information and assistance in resolving factory and field problems; maintain liaison and coordinate with sales, manufacturing, quality control and other departments and functions.
- Hire and assign personnel; discipline; conduct salary reviews and performance appraisals for employees; direct the instruction and training of engineering personnel; maintain a high level of productivity and morale.
- Provide field support and product engineering advice to customers and suppliers; make or arrange for visits; coordinate with responsible sales personnel.
- Participate in the evaluation of design software and computer hardware; prepare capital appropriation justification for new software and hardware purchases.
- Encourage and participate in continuous improvement of product/process design. Make suggestions for changes and implement changes to team administrative processes in order to reduce cycle time and human resource requirements.
- Provide engineering analyses of returned product and product failures.
- Be responsible for final review and approval of drawings, specification reviews, test plans, test reports, and engineering orders.
- Participate in establishing engineering operating and capital budget for the business unit Plan R&D projects for the business unit and participate in the development of new product lines.
- Oversee the preparation of reports and maintenance of necessary files and records.
- Keep abreast of current technology; participate and encourage participation in technical societies, the writing of technical papers and the development of patentable ideas.
Education/Previous Experience Requirements
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- Must have a minimum of 10 to 15 years of experience in a design and manufacturing environment
- Extensive experience in new product introduction
- Experience with aerospace and industry specifications/standards required
Kirkhill Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status.