Kirkhill welcomes people who share our determination and high standards to join us in doing work that moves the world forward. We design, manufacture, and market highly engineered products and systems principally for the aerospace and defense markets. Kirkhill is a leading diversified manufacturer of highly engineered, organic, and in-organic elastomer-based products.
Company Name: Kirkhill Inc. is a subsidiary of TransDigm Group.
Industry: Aerospace/Defense Products & Services
Number of Employees: 550
Title: Lab Manager
Job Family: Manager
Reports to: VP of Engineering
Works with: Materials, Engineering, Document Control, management and employees of all levels
Location: Brea, CA, USA
Type: Full Time
Responsible for: planning and organizing the laboratory operations and activities for all of its personnel. Implements best manufacturing practices (5’s, operations balancing, waste elimination, continuous improvement projects, etc.) Ensures the correct testing standard procedures are followed. Maintains industry and customer standards certifications approvals for the laboratory. Assists engineering management in determination of laboratory budgets, schedules, equipment requirements and labor resource requirements.
- Serve as primary contact for laboratory activities supporting multiple teams, project engineers and customers.
- Lead a team of Lab Techs and other support personnel.
- Review and/or support the generation of lab documentation (procedures, data and reports)
- Reviews and approves test reports.
- Assure all test and test documentation completeness, accuracy and consistency.
- Manage and communicate testing priorities in order to support operations commitments.
- To review and interpret customer specifications and engineering in relation to material properties and performance.
- Support and/or establish testing and data collection standards and procedures. Implement and/or insure standardization of processes within the lab.
- Schedule laboratory workload and test equipment allocation to meet all test schedules.
- Oversee laboratory daily operations.
- Ensure all lab equipment is calibrated where applicable and preventative maintenance is performed and maintained.
- Create and issue purchase requisitions and support CER creation for materials, testing and equipment.
- Support Engineering change and material obsolescence activity
- Maintain periodic testing of compounds in accordance with customer, industry or internal specifications.
- Support new material development activities.
- Promote process consistency and improvements with the lab.
- Determine requirements and make arrangements for technician training and development.
- Other duties may be required as assigned by manager/supervisor.
Education/Previous Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or the equivalent. 2 -3 years of experience in engineering test lab operations or in related work
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as reading and comprehension
- Excellent math skills
- Computer literate
- Ability to work well with others
- Able to perform job with minimum supervision
Kirkhill Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status.